In Pictures: Hongkongers mourn victims of deadly Tai Po fire as flags at half mast across city

By Hans Tse

In Pictures: Hongkongers mourn victims of deadly Tai Po fire as flags at half mast across city

💡 You've read article/s this month. Support Team HKFP - unlock 8 benefits by joining as a HK$150/month+ member. Promos disabled for members.

Hongkongers are paying tribute to victims of the deadly Tai Po fire, which has claimed at least 128 lives, as an official three-day mourning period began on Saturday.

Around 200 people are still listed as missing following the inferno, which broke out on Wednesday afternoon at Wang Fuk Court, a housing estate with eight residential high-rises that are home to approximately 4,000 residents, according to official figures.

Among the deaths was 37-year-old firefighter Ho Wai-ho, who died on Wednesday in the line of duty, as well as at least four domestic workers.

89 bodies have yet to be identified, authorities said on Friday afternoon, with more bodies expected to be found as police enter the buildings to investigate.

On Saturday morning - the fourth day since the inferno - bouquets of flowers with messages of condolences were seen placed in areas surrounding the charred residential complex.

Many messages left by well-wishers were dedicated to displaced families, some of whom have been searching hospitals and victim identification stations for their loved ones.

On Saturday morning, Chief Executive John Lee led his principal officials, members of the Executive Council, and a group of civil servants to observe a moment of silence at 8am outside government headquarters.

Xu Qifang, executive deputy director of Beijing's top office overseeing Hong Kong, and Zhou Ji, director of Beijing's liaison office in Hong Kong, were among those who attended the ceremony on Saturday.

Chinese and Hong Kong flags displayed at government buildings, including overseas offices, will be flown at half mast for three days from Saturday to mourn the victims. Condolence points will be set up across all 18 districts in Hong Kong for the public to pay tribute.

The Police Disaster Victims Identification Unit (DVIU), a specialist team trained to identify the deceased during major crises, continued their work on Saturday inside some of the seven buildings that had been engulfed in flames.

On Friday evening, DVIU officers had already entered Wang Cheong House, where authorities believed the fire started and where casualties were concentrated.

Scores of volunteers were also seen packing up on Saturday morning, as they moved masses of donated materials that had been stored at a podium near Wang Fuk Court. The resources had been gathered since Wednesday as part of a spontaneous grassroots relief effort.

See also: Grassroots rapid relief: How thousands of Hongkongers mobilised to support victims of Tai Po blaze

Volunteers said that, in the early hours of Saturday, police had requested they clear the podium, according to InMedia.

Some volunteers on Friday also said they were asked by government-affiliated care teams to leave the community hall, which was being used as a temporary shelter for Wang Fuk Court residents.

Secretary for Home and Youth Affairs Alice Mak told a press conference on Friday that the situation at the community hall was "quite chaotic," adding that government's shelters normally would not allow unofficial personnel to enter.

"We must protect the privacy and safety of those seeking shelter at government centres," Mak said in Cantonese.

Previous articleNext article

POPULAR CATEGORY

misc

18116

entertainment

19785

corporate

16585

research

10116

wellness

16480

athletics

20841