Thugs who acted like 'wild animals in a pack' during a 'two-on-one' attack on a defenceless stranger have been locked up.
Lewis Wilmore, 22, and Keiron Lowe, 23, had been drinking when they went 'looking for trouble' and targeted their victim.
Their violent attack left the victim in hospital with injuries and displaced teeth.
The victim was walking through Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent, with a friend at 6pm on November 28, 2023.
Lowe intentionally barged into the victim's friend, who apologised even though he was not at fault.
They were walking away when Lowe shouted "oi, do not turn your back on me", Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard.
READ MORE: Scrap metal collector 'shot dead in revenge' shooting was 'not in a gang', jurors told
Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the BirminghamLive newsletter here.
Prosecutor Matthew Ness said: "He exhibited a level of aggression. The victim's friend immediately sensed danger and ran but the victim was left behind.
"He was hit on the back of the head and fell to the floor. He realised he had been hit by Lowe.
"He tried to get up but was put back down to the ground by Lowe. He was eventually able to get back on his feet.
"However, he was followed by Lowe and Wilmore, who had initially chased the victim's friend but then returned and joined in the assault.
"Wilmore then hit the victim to the head causing him to fall over once again.
"Both defendants began viciously punching, kicking and stamping on the victim as he was on the floor.
"He attempted to get up once more but was assaulted again by both defendants."
The victim went to the A&E department at the Royal Stoke University Hospital following the attack, which was captured on CCTV.
He had cuts to his right cheek, swelling and tenderness to his jaw, a cut to the left side of his scalp and three displaced teeth.
In a statement read to the court, he said an operation on his teeth was very painful, StokeonTrentLive reports.
He was too scared to go home following the attack and moved back in with his parents.
The victim also became depressed, adding: "I thought they were trying to kill me. It could easily have killed me.
"I do not think I will ever be able to forget the attack. I do not think it will be possible to get back to how it was before."
Rashad Mohammed, defending Wilmore, there have been no further issues since the attack.
Mr Mohammed added: "He accepts he played an equal part. The behaviour on this night was impulsive, certainly something they had not planned.
"His mother is utterly appalled at his behaviour and recognises he must be punished.
"She describes how in the last 12 months there has been a material change in his behaviour.
"He has obtained employment. He has a partner. The defendant tells me he has stopped drinking and taking drugs."
Hamish Noble, defending Lowe, said the defendant was drunk.
Mr Noble said: "He apologises through me and in a letter to the court. It has been a wake up call for him."
Sentencing, Recorder Robert Smith said: "The aggravating features were the location and timing of the offence.
"It was two-on-to-one violence, unprovoked, and the level of violence you both used was entirely gratuitous.
"You were both intoxicated. A weapon, a bottle, was used to strike the victim to the head.
"When prone to the floor you both used a shod foot.
"This was a despicable, unprovoked and gratuitous attack. You both behaved like wild animals in a pack."
Lowe, of Maureen Avenue, Goldenhill, and Wilmore, of Chamberlain Avenue, Shelton, admitted wounding with intent and were both jailed for four years.
They will both serve two thirds of their sentences with the rest on licence.